Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I feel like Gumby



Remember Gumby, the green clay humanoid figure who was the star of a Saturday morning television series of the same name which ran for almost 35 years?

What you say, do I have in common with a green clay cartoon figure? For one, we're roughly the same age. He hung out with Pokey a red clay pony and I hang out with Oscar, a 16 year old dachshund in diapers. Before age took over and his mane went white, Oscar had beautiful red hair.

Eddie Murphy played Gumby on Saturday Night Live and those not familiar with his work were reprimanded with his most memorable phrase, "I'm Gumby, dammit!". Hmm "I'm Sandi, dammit" Has a nice ring .....

Today, Gumby is a common nickname for someone who is very flexible. It's even a saying in the Marine Corps "Semper Gumby" which jokingly translates to "always flexible". While I am not a US marine, I do run my kitchen like a mess hall and I am pretty much known for my flexibility. Not in the physical sense of the word mind you (I am sure Gumby is a bit stiff to after all these years too.)

I often catch myself in mid sentence "No problem, I'm flexible." I guess it's too late to change now. I have built my reputation on going with the flow, being flexible. Accommodating others. Looking out for the other guy. It's nothing extraordinary, yet slowly becoming a lost art. Simply put, it's just plain old good customer service.



1 comment:

AgingBackwards said...

Great post - not only that but Gumby's new mantra could be: "Go Green!:) LOL Luv ya!